Description

Go down

Description

Post  DMgoddess on Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:35 pm

Project Veritas is a freely accessible archive of general purpose knowledge, born from dual necessities. First, the fear that tomes in libraries left knowledge pure but inherently vulnerable--How many valuable libraries have burned to ash? Hell, people burn Harry Potter. In a trigger happy society, books that actually detail pacts of nether things would be met with fear, horror, and flame... And then that knowledge would be forever lost. Secondly and more positively, the libraries were built on the idea that technology, far from putting books out of print, could be used as it's makers originally intended; namely, to communicate and preserve packets of knowledge to those who need and desire them. While most mages would recoil at the thought of anyone being able to access even low level magic tomes, the authors of Project Veritas steadfastly believe that knowledge should not be hoarded. Needless to say, they toil in secret--In fact, many mages are actively working to put the project permanently out of order. Literally, knowledge is power, and they prefer that in their own hands. Because of this, the site can be hard to find. Using a combination of technical and magical skill, the active url changes frequently and only seems to work if you have pure intent, regardless of whether or not you have a password. And, illogically, many who need knowledge for it's own sake tend to happen upon it. Since it's relatively new and it's not exactly as simple as scanning a book of charms, the information is limited (and some books seem to be edited, either in attempt to further safeguard their secrets or by flaw). Proceed with caution, and enter your queries here:
DMgoddess
Admin

View user profile http://gunsandglamours.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Description

Post  tzar1990 on Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:53 am

Hello Kara! I was hoping I could get a couple of pieces of info before the next session, it it's not too much bother:

1) Who are the second-in-commands of Autumn, Winter and Spring (Summer too, if the magical iron crown isn't going on in your world.) That is, if something happens to a leader, who takes over? Also, what are the public political attitudes of these people? Do they always agree with their boss, or do they have an id/ego thing going on?

2) I'd like to look up information on heart magic and transformation magic. Summers spies may not have gotten anything with a direct route, but autumn has always taken a more subtle path. Ideally, I'd look for transformation rituals that used a body part as a focus, or records of hearts or other organs allowing their users to harness new and powerful magicks. Maybe look for stories about evil queens and hearts...
hang on...
Do you read Neil Gaiman? Because I'm thinking of a short story called Blood, Glass, Apples right now, and it's hovering juuust on the edge of coincidence and not.
Very Happy
tzar1990

View user profile

Back to top Go down

re: Chris

Post  DMgoddess on Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:56 am

Hey Chris! I’ll actually give you a proper document as-per-promised for number two, what you would find when searching for those things. It probably won’t be tonight though, since I’m working on other campaign related thingies (unless I’m just superwoman, but eheh… more likely it’ll be early next week). I thought I’d go ahead and answer the not in character questions.

1) That’s a good question.
*Courts have jurisdiction.
*The Court in our chronicle is for the greater Philly area
*The four epitomes have greater wyrd than any other changelings of their faction in the area.
*Since it’s jurisdiction-specific, a large swathe of barely populated land might very well be able to be led by a changeling with, say, wyrd four or three. However, for a high-traffic area like Philly you’d expect there to be a fairly large community, which would require a leader to have some… muscle in order to command respect. In game terms, all the epitomes have at least 6 wyrd.
*Now, in our “large barely populated” theoretical area, if the top dog died either one of his cronies would distinguish himself, or if they all remained at the same general level some extraneous force would likely step into the picture and be the new top dog. Or a more powerful changeling might take over if he was markedly more powerful than the current leader.
*Now, in a city it’s a little more complicated because all four are fairly established. They’ve been around a while a fought off power bids at a fairly regular basis, and most changelings with wyrd much higher become too detached from reality to really meddle with politics and become more like forces of nature.
*While an individual Epitome might be the type to groom an “heir” of sorts, in reality even if one were designated as a successor they’d have to succeed in wooing or cowing the rest of the court into paying dues. In short, think a lot less like a political election and a lot more how new warlords come into being.
*Lemme guess, you wanna know who would inherit the throne if Kepter just happened to die, right? The truth is, it’s not a simple answer. There would be chaos for a while, a clear power vacuum. It’d probably get filled quickly and violently, and they probably wouldn’t necessarily be kind to hold-overs from the previous regime (That said, I’m all for you possibly killing Kepter at some point, it’s poetic justice. Just remember, smart girls know the key to getting away with murder is timing--well, that and having either a really well practiced puppy dog face or a good push-up bra).

Lol, and yes I do actually read Neil Gaiman. And I do love that story—though I wasn’t consciously alluding to it or anything. XP
DMgoddess
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  tzar1990 on Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:43 pm

Now, who said anything about kepter dying. With the political situation the way it is right now, that would probably be a bad idea, and anyways, it would be a lot of work to set up, probably involving explosives behind moving walls made of iron and spiky...

Now, political maneuvering, on the other hand, could be quite fun. After all, I saw his tickets to Hong Kong, departing around the same time he should be taking office, and I know that he was the one who set off the panic, killing several of our own for no apparent reason. I can use that knowledge as blackmail to keep myself safe ("You don't hurt me, or my friends in the other courts find out that in addition to working with the true fey, you have a plan destructive enough to make running to the other side of the world a good idea, and you're willing to kill our own members.") And once I have freedom to maneuver... Well, it would benefit us all, autumn court included, if someone were to remove him from power and placed someone less thuggish in charge. Gee, if only I had some info... some proof that it would be a good idea for summer to take the bugger down, and a friend in summer who's low enough rank to be below the manipulations, but still be able to spread the good news about a populous uprising...

Oh. Wait. I do! Twisted Evil
tzar1990

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DMgoddess on Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:01 pm

Oooh, hehehe. I do love me a good chaotic uprising. Might wanna find out the extent to which Summer backs Kepter though, and why. XP
DMgoddess
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DMgoddess on Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:29 pm

Random note:

It occurred to me after I posted this that I should probably clarify something. I might have compared the Epitomes to warlords... and that is an apt comparison, but the important point is that the title is sort of reflexive... It's an inherent pecking order, like the difference between bullion and credit. They are Epitome because they have power, rather than merely having power because they function as Epitome.

It's also noteworthy that there are different ways to wield power. Someone like Kepter or even Frieka or Sheila for that matter probably took the "muscling" as a pretty literal order of business. The Spring court has different meters for that sort of thing, and I point this out because not only are not all power displays brutish, but they can possess a finesse of politics that rivals any human court. I would say that the display of power wouldn't need to be so crude as you might think from the comparison. I suppose the salient demand that would cut the teeth of the would-be epitome would really just be impressiveness--And impressive in such a way that would speak to the target audience.

You asked before and I didn't completely answer about how loyal thralls generally are to their Lords. It really varies case by case. Almost everyone in Crane's court actually loves him, he's plied them with potent emotion and they probably feel as if he understands them even if they've never really spoken to him. Think kind of like a really sex-happy Obama bird.

Summer court, there is a little less of that respect. Most people are generally loyal to Frieka; she represents a life style. In many ways she's incompetent, but while a summer girl might sneer and think she could do better the truth is she'd probably stay in that zone rather than move beyond it to actual coup. It would bubble over, she might even start a yelling match with Frieka since the court is somewhat more casual. But summer people typically have their own passions and rivalries, and Frieka is both an institution and, in spite of herself, a shrewd woman when it comes to dealing with Winter. She's like a big angry mascot that tackles the opposite teams' quarterback--sort of ridiculous, but ballsy and when everyone is watching the spectacle she actually had someone else casting a spell on the Away team to make them think the football was a wombat or something.

Autumn is interesting. Kepter rules by fear. As a result, none of his subjects like him--But they do respect him. He's made sure that insurrections have been very painfully and publicly quashed; in fact, he enjoys it when he does find those that make tries for power. He's also a long term plotter, and has a good system of spies... Since Autumn is earmarked by deliberation and power games, it's not like there aren't frequent deserters. But mostly, they stay WITHIN the court. And always, they fail. I get the feeling that besting Kepter in any way would be a test of wills between you and him even if you tried to distance yourself. Also, it should be noted that while he is a bastard, he's actually one of the more... reasonable of the Epitomes. It might not seem like that looking at them, but with him there is a very specific dichotomy of power, and the way he plays is more predictably human (nasty part of being human though it might be).

Winter, now, is yet again another thing. She is also feared and respected. So much that her court is run like a cult. Very little in the way of gossip gets out--her subjects simply do not TALK. And since sorrow is fairly self-involved in a way that doesn't usually allow for that kind of loyalty to another, that's interesting. And scary as hell to anyone else in the wings.
DMgoddess
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down